The Surface Design Journal is a quarterly print publication that comes with membership in the Surface Design Association. Its 76 pages are produced in full color and printed in the US.
Each issue of the Journal is designed around a theme that may focus on a technique, such as hand embroidery; a genre, as in mixed media; aesthetic directions, like soft sculpture; or a part of the world, such as Africa. International in scope, articles focus on contemporary textile and fiber-based art forms as realized through concept, process, and materials. The goal is to stimulate thought and inspiration.
Upcoming Journal Themes:
In the Journal, find:
- Articles focused on current directions in the field
- In-depth profiles of established and emerging artists
- Interviews with artists, curators, and gallery directors
- Reviews of local, national, and international exhibitions
- Exposure of selected works by SDA members
- Spotlight on accredited and non-accredited fiber programs
- Reviews of new books significant to fiber art
Send your textile arts news to:
SDAbuzz [at] surfacedesign [dot] org.
To access Facebook stories, ignore "error" message. Click on "Follow Link" at bottom.
Hit the Reset Button in Your Brain
Vacation isn’t a luxury. Neither is daydreaming. Don’t skimp.
Art al Vent XI
International exposition of contemporary textile art hangs from balconies of Gata de Gorgos, Spain
Contextile 2014 Awards
Acquisition Prize went to "Naturaleza Desdoblada" by Mexican artist Miriam Medrez.
The UNT Natural Dye Garden
SDA Swatch Collection: A Textile Arts Resource
Reviving a Dyeing Technique
Ceramic Animal & Insect Sculptures Wrapped in Crochet
Learning New Skills Works Best To Keep Brain Sharp