Surface Design Journal is a quarterly print publication that comes with membership in Surface Design Association. Its 80 pages are produced in full color and printed in the USA.
Each issue of SDA Journal is designed around a theme. It may focus on a technique, such as hand embroidery; a genre, as in mixed media; aesthetic directions, like soft sculpture; or a part of the world, such as Africa.
International in scope, articles focus on contemporary textile and fiber-based art and design - as realized through concept, process, and materials.
The goal of each Journal issue is to stimulate thought and inspiration.
During 2015 - a transitional year of restructuring for SDA - the Journal will be published 3 times with release dates in May, July and November. Quarterly publication schedule will resume in 2016
Questions about 2015 Journal publishing schedule may be sent to info [at] surfacedesign [dot] org.
Upcoming Journal Themes:
Wax & Fiber
Read SDA Journal to stay informed about:
- Trends & currents in textile art & design
- Established & emerging artists via in-depth profiles
- Hot topics via Interviews with makers, curators & collectors
- Local, national, & international exhibitions via reviews
- Latest work by SDA members via Exposure feature
- Textile Arts education via Spotlight feature
- New books about fashion, fiber, textile art & design via reviews
- Conservation issues and concerns
- History & evolution of the field via Legacy feature