The Surface Design Journal welcomes the submission of original manuscripts or proposals for articles that have not been previously published in an American publication focused on textiles. However, because each issue of the Journal is built around a theme, please consult with the Journal Editor at journaleditor [at] surfacedesign [dot] org before submitting articles.
- Manuscripts may be presented in hard copy, on CDs, or e-mail attachments (Microsoft Word or RTF format for Macintosh preferred). Electronic submissions must be supplemented by hard copy manuscripts. PLEASE DOUBLE SPACE HARD COPY and use type no smaller than 12 point.
- It is VERY IMPORTANT that the writer’s name, postal address, telephone and/or fax number, and e-mail address appear at the top of Page 1. Failure to provide this information slows down the process if we need to contact you and can delay payment.
- Pages should be numbered.
- Indication at the end of the manuscript that nothing is to follow. The journalistic standard is -30-. A row of asterisks will also suffice.
- The writer is responsible for checking the spelling of all proper names of people, living or dead, as well as places and dates.
- Notes should be presented together at the end of the manuscript. Notes must be completed by the writer.
- The writer is responsible for providing visuals in the form of photographic prints, slides, transparencies, TIFFs, EPSs, or JPGS on zip disks or CDs. IMAGES ON CDs MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY COLOR PRINTOUTS.
- Caption information should be provided on a separate sheet.
- For artwork, caption information should include: artist’s name, title of work, process, materials, size, date, photo credit and, if relevant, collection to which the work belongs—e.g., the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- For other photos—e.g., group shots at events—identify the setting and, if possible, individuals or art work appearing prominently.
The writer is responsible for obtaining any necessary permission to reproduce art work. Any fee required for reproduction must be discussed with the editor.
A manuscript sent on speculation should be accompanied by a large SASE for its possible return.
SURFACE DESIGN JOURNAL
Marci Rae McDade, SDA Editor
3310 SE 33rd Ave
Portland, OR 97202
journaleditor [at] surfacedesign [dot] org