A Day with SDA at the Fuller Craft Museum
Join the Connecticut and Massachusetts/Rhode Island SDA regional groups for an inspiring day at the Fuller Craft Museum in Brockton, Massachusetts on October 27, 2018. Registration is limited and begins September 5th. Open to all SDA Members.
Fuller Craft Museum
455 Oak Street
Brockton, MA 02301
October 27, 2018, 10:30am-5pm
Join us for a day of stimulating fiber related events at the Fuller Craft Museumin Brockton, MA. This special day-long SDA member event is open to all SDA members and is co- sponsored by SDA national and the CT and MA/RI SDA regional groups. Program includes a presentation by nationally known speaker Stuart Kestenbaum, morning networking and discussion activities, and the opening reception for Context: Language, Media, and Meaning from the Surface Design Association. Juried by Bruce Hoffman, this exhibit includes work by Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut SDA members who have incorporated written language into their textile inspired artwork. Open to all SDA members. Registration opens September 5. Registration for non-members opens October 5.
Details & Schedule
Spend a “Day with SDA” at the Fuller Craft Museum on October 27, 2018 from 10:30-5pm, sponsored by Surface Design Association and Massachusetts/Rhode Island SDA Regional Groups.
Morning networking activities:
- Opportunities to share artistic passion and actual work
- Facilitated discussion about common interests in textile art and surface design, sources of inspiration, artist challenges and goals
- Meet others who share similar passions and tap into a wider SDA community
Brown Bag Lunch
Afternoon Lecture, “Words Matter,” by invited speaker, Stuart Kestenbaum, who will address the connection between craft and the written word. Kestenbaum is the current Poet Laureate of Maine, former long-term director of Haystack Mountain School of Crafts and is beloved for his warmth, passion, intelligence and humor.
Opening and Reception for juried exhibition: Context: Language, Media and Meaning
The day ends with the Fuller’s opening reception for the exhibition Context: Language, Media, and Meaning from the Surface Design Association. Juried by Bruce Hoffman, this exhibit includes work by Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut SDA members who have incorporated written language into their textile inspired artwork.
Entry Fees & Registration
Registration Opens September 5 and is limited to 100 participants due to the Museum’s
- $30 for CT/MA/RI SDA members
- $40 for other SDA members
- $50 for non-members
NOTE: fees cover morning networking activities, snacks, presentations, Fuller Craft Museum admission and tour, Stuart Kestenbaum presentation and Context exhibition reception with refreshments.
Sponsored by Surface Design Association and Massachusetts/Rhode Island SDA regional groups.
Visit https://surfacedesign.z2systems.com/eventReg.jsp?event=4& to register. You will need to login with your SDA membership information.
- September 5 – Registration opens September 5th. Attendees will receive a confirmation with additional suggestions on networking items to bring.
- October 5 – Registration opens for non-members.
- October 13 – No refunds of registration fees after this date.
- October 27 – A Day with SDA at the Fuller Craft Museum, 10:30am – 5pm.
- October 27, 2018 – February 24, 2019– Context: Language, Media, and Meaning from the Surface Design Association juried exhibition
For more information on the event, please contact Ellen Schiffman, CT SDA Area Representative