Friday Fibers Roundup: Pushing Fashion
March 23, 2018
This week’s Friday Fibers Roundup spotlights the many different ways fashion designers are pushing the boundaries–both conceptually and materially.
1) “When Black Women could not try on the Dresses, Ebony Brought the Dresses to Them” by Blue Greenberg spotlights the story of how haute couture fashion for black American women became a vehicle to reinforce positive cultural identity (via The Herald Sun).
2) This video shows the making of a Chanel dress by hand.
3) In the fashion film “This is not a show,” Nick Knight and Gareth Pugh offer an exclusive visual insight into Pugh’s S/S18 collection, exploring the extremities offered by the elements and the raw physicality of humanity (via Show Studio).
4) “What the Ever-Evolving Little Black Dress Says about American Culture” by Sarah Dotson looks at the when the color black first entered high-fashion and its role specifically for party dresses (via Artsy).
5) This video also shows a behind-the-scenes making of a Georges Hobeika garment.
6) “Craft Porn: In 2017, Quilting, Knitting, and Needlepoint Were Hot Trends on the Runways” by Laird Borrelli-Persson highlights the craft techniques utilized by designers in reaction to political movements (via Vogue).
7) “Oscar de la Renta Exhibition Opening at Museum of Fine Arts Houston” by Andrew Nodell reviews the Oscar de la Renta: Retrospective last year at San Francisco’s de Young Museum (via WWD).
8) This video takes you inside the hidden world of the Paris embroidery atelier Maison Vermont.
9) “8 Audacious Ways The Women’s Clothing Industry Is Scamming You” looks at all the things you might not realize are wrong with your clothes and fashion system (via Fashionbeans).
10) “This Elaborate Dress is an Arts-and-Crafts Dream” by Bobby Doherty and Rebecca Ramsey examines the photo series Finer Things–a playful approach to elusive, glamorous fashion items we’re fixated on right now (via The Cut).
Related Blog Articles
“Standing Tall: A Heart-FELT Reflection” by Martien van Zuilen
Friday Fibers Roundup: Contemporary Craft
No Thumbnail Available
Friday Fibers Roundup: Exhibiting Craft