Lauren Salazar "Innards"

Blog Post Tag: Community

Outstanding Student Awards 2018 (Part II of IV)

August 22, 2018 9:00 am

Our second gallery of SDA’s Outstanding Students Award Winners is just as amazing as last week’s, and features innovation within the field of fibers and textiles. Nominated by the chair of their department, all winners receive a free digital membership for the year. For more information on the Outstanding Student Awards go to https://www.surfacedesign.org/members/awards-grants/ or …

Read More »

“Walking the Land” by Leslie Pearson

May 30, 2018 9:00 am

Mountain to Mouth, a multi-award winning biennial journey of discovery, started in 2009 with a desire to connect people to each other and to the land through the arts. My reason for being a part of this extraordinary event was in the creation of Canoe, Mountain to Mouth’s lead ephemeral processional sculpture. I was beyond …

Read More »

“Artful Conversations: Anita Bracalente” by Catherine Kirsch

May 2, 2018 9:00 am

Anita Bracalente lives a broad and varied artistic life. She is an art museum registrar, painter, sculptor, stain-glass maker, landscape designer, knitter and an arts lecturer. As she says, “a creative life takes on its own natural progression and direction.” An important aspect of this forward motion has been seeking light, creating space in a …

Read More »

“A Woman’s Place” Curated by Kimberly Becker

January 24, 2018 10:00 am

Curated by SDA member Kimberly Becker, the exhibition A Woman’s Place features fifteen artists whose strong voices and clear ideas discuss what it means to be female in the twenty first century. Conveyed through a wide variety of mediums, the work speaks to both an individual woman’s experience as well as a collective voice. Opening …

Read More »

“Echoes of the Prairie: Works in Cloth” by Susan Lordi Marker

January 17, 2018 10:00 am

Susan Lordi Marker is recent SDA member, whose work centralizes around themes of natural resources, ecosystems, and mark making. Below, Susan reflects on the many years of creativity and exploration with a retrospective on her own processes. Several years ago I rescued a remnant of original, unplowed native prairie in Missouri. Since then, I have been …

Read More »

SDA 2017: A Year In Review

December 27, 2017 9:00 am

This year Surface Design Association celebrated our 40th Anniversary with a bang. We had 4 amazing journals published, multiple exhibitions throughout the country, as well as our biennial conference. Even though 2017 was rough to get through, SDA strived to meet our members’ needs, being a beacon of hope and a creative outlet for many. …

Read More »

“Small Works” Award Winners

September 13, 2017 9:00 am

A crowd favorite from Making our Mark: SDA at 40 conference in Portland, OR was the Small Works exhibition. The show featured 122 pieces in any fiber-related material, from SDA members both local and international. To celebrate and be inclusive to all members–not solely the ones who could attend the conference–Small Works was open to …

Read More »

“Artful Conversations: Anna Carlson” by Catherine Kirsch

September 7, 2017 9:00 am

Surface Design Association functions primarily on the energy provided by a vast network of dedicated volunteers. While there is no doubt SDA appreciates this service, sometimes a thank you doesn’t go far enough. So I suggested to Managing Editor Lauren Sinner that a recurring artist conversation with a volunteer would go a long way to …

Read More »